[Tox Support] Dynamic IP Addrs

e-tge tg at e-tge.de
Fri Sep 4 10:47:43 UTC 2015

Many thx - this was almost the answer I was looking for, see below ...

> Hello and Welcome to the tox mailing list!
>
> On 03/09/15 07:06, e-tge wrote:
> > 1) Many people use computers at home connected to the WWW through
> > some router supplied by Internet-providers. My computer uses DHCP
> > and may have a different IP address every time (let's say 1.2.3.4),
> > the same applies to my router (e.g. 2.3.4.5), which finally NATs my
> > computer's address to the outside world (2.3.4.44). Same applies to
> > my friend I'm about to call ... How is this supposed to work
> > considering the peer-to-peer concept?
>
> Zetok already answered part of this in that UDP does holepunching that
> allows it to go through NAT'ed connections.
>
> The second part is that every time you start tox and reconnect to the
> global p2p network your tox ID is republished with your new IP address
> (note that this is a simplification as significant extra work is done
> to help you remain as anonymous as possible)

This is/was the interesting part (in combination with "DHT"). So I sign
in, the tox core/client publishes my ID with my current IP address to ...
ehm ... where to exactly?

I suppose this is not the "DNS" service explained somewhere in the
Wiki, as that sounds as if it just maps some kind of textual name to
the ID, but does not take care of the ID -> IP addr mapping.

> This means that as long as your friend knows your Tox ID, he can look
> that up in the DHT and find your currently published IP and then you
> can begin to talk p2p

Makes sense ... :-)

Another thing which should appear in some prominent (!) place on the
web site is a statement, that tox.chat has nothing to do with this:
  https://blogs.mcafee.com/mcafee-labs/meet-tox-ransomware-for-the-rest-of-us

When originally reading through the WWW I found that (and tox.im which
did not work (yes, explained somewhere)) and that sounds quite
frightening and might people make stay away from "our tox" here.

Many thx!!
 tge