[Tox Support] About licenses of using toxcore for a free public applicaton

nurupo nurupo at tox.chat
Thu Nov 16 11:51:43 UTC 2017

Hello,

toxcore is licensed under GPLv3, as seen in
https://github.com/TokTok/c-toxcore/blob/master/COPYING, so to use
toxcore in your application you have to comply with the terms of the
GPLv3 license.

> The application is a free in all its services but not an open source
> code application.

Afaik, GPL license requires you to release your application under GPL
license and provide the full source code of your application to your
users. There should be no difference if you link it statically or
dynamically. You are probably thinking of LGPL, which has a linking
clause.

I might be mistaking though, I have only basic understanding of licenses
and by no means am I an expert in them. There are professionals in the
legal field which deal with licensing, they should be able to help you
with understanding licenses.

---
Regards,
nurupo