[Tox Support] [Support] UDP or TCP for traffic-saving?

v_2e at ukr.net v_2e at ukr.net
Tue Aug 11 09:36:23 UTC 2015

  Hello!

On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 10:10:56 -0700
chuong vu <chuongv at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to clarify, TCP will consume significantly less traffic than UDP
> in both conversation and stand-by mode.

On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 16:46:15 -0004
Jfreegman <Jfreegman at tox.chat> wrote:

> To clarify some more, UDP mode uses significantly more bandwidth than
> TCP-only mode overall, however this is mostly due to DHT traffic. TCP
> packets are obviously a little bigger than UDP packets, meaning a
> video conversation with TCP will use a bit more bandwidth than with
> UDP if you disregard DHT traffic. The difference is probably trivial
> though - if saving bandwidth is your primary concern you should be
> forcing a TCP connection.

  Thank you for your responses.

  I did not quiet understand, what about the DHT traffic in TCP mode.
Why does it consume less traffic than in UDP mode? Or is it absent in
TCP mode? I thought DHT is the basis of all the Tox network, and thus
it is a necessary activity. Isn't it?

  Thanks!

-----
 <v_2e at ukr.net>