[Tox Support] Running a node.

Damien skyguide.base at icloud.com
Wed Jan 6 06:19:04 UTC 2016

Hello, I would like to contribute to your project and I have a couple of
questions...

1. Could you please clarify a bit what type of nodes are used to
facilitate tox communications, in a different parts of wiki pages there
is a bit different terminology.
      There is mentioning of something called "DHT node", while under
"running a node" section, node called a "bootstrap node". Is that a same
thing?

2. It seems that in order to run a node, tox core has to be installed
first. If that's the case, in instruction to install a Tox core, there
is separate instruction for installing/including libraries to facilitate
audio/video communications.
Could you please clarify if this actually necessary to facilitate a full
functionality including a audio/video communication for a tox users
utilizing the node of a distributed tox network, or .... A/V libraries
needed for... a local tox client on the system?

3. I'm considering running a vm (on esxi host) dedicated to the node. as
a base OS, i will use ubuntu 14.04 LTS Server.
This esxi host/ vm / node will be running behind PFsense 2.2.6 (FreeBSD
10.1-RELEASE-p25).
Could you provide a best practice recommendations in terms of all
necessary network related config on the firewall, port forwarding, what
ports (if any) would have to be opened...

4. The cost of running the node - in terms of amount of traffic the node
may receive - could you please estimate it or this is not something you
can anticipate at all? Meaning - will I be slammed with huge traffic volume?

5. Can you make any comments regarding potential exposure to outside
intrusion, including a state sponsored attacks. My host will be in USA
and with all the issues we have going on over here (NSA) I am trying to
scale how much of a target I personally may become, running a tox-core node.

Have you had any incidents when this already became an issue of node
operators?

Note: The host will be physically connected via a residential i-net
access, with a very slow connection rate.
Could you please provide an absolute minimum requirements for the
network in terms of up/down speed, and latency.

The i-net facing interface of PFSense has a public IP address, it is
Dynamic but it has a registered DDNS record.
Would that be acceptable or even feasible to run a node?

Please let me know if you can, and thank you for your time.

Damien