[General] TriCitizen new Tox client on Android

nurupo nurupo at tox.chat
Tue Aug 3 04:33:33 UTC 2021

GPL allows you to sell copies of the software
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney and
charge a fee to download the software
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#DoesTheGPLAllowDownloadFee.
Charging a fee to disable in-app ads or unlock some functionality should
be fine too.

Just note that under the GPL, you will have to provide the full source
code and build/install instructions of the app to the users, so the
users would be free to modify the source code of your app to remove the
ads, unlock all the functionality and publish this modified version on
the Play Store under a different name without violating any copyright
laws as GPL allows for that. Or instead of making a fully unlocked copy
of your app, they could make a copy with all the ad and unlock revenue
going to them instead of you. In any case though, they would have to
comply with the GPL - include copyright and license statements, provide
their users with their modified source code and installation
instructions, etc.

If you are having such a simple question, then you should really read
the license text or perhaps consult a lawyer if you are having trouble
understandingthe license. Again, the earlier disclaimer applies to
everything I say, that I'm not a lawyer and what I'm saying is not a
legal advice, it's just my understanding of GPL to the best of my
knowledge, which might not necessarily be correct.

---
Regards,
nurupo