[General] TriCitizen new Tox client on Android

nurupo nurupo at tox.chat
Tue Aug 3 00:51:31 UTC 2021

> https://opensource.stackexchange.com/questions/6771/am-i-allowed-to-use-a-gpl-3-library-in-a-closed-source-web-application
>

> "As long as the user just _runs_ GPL-2 software, there should be no
> problem. GPL-3 is different."
Please don't link to random answers on stackexchange or similar websites
as some sort of authoritative answers. Anyone can write anything they
want on those kinds of websites and that doesn't make whatever is
written on there true.
Instead, use the GPL-3.0 license text, accessible at
https://github.com/TokTok/c-toxcore/blob/master/LICENSE to see what is
allowed or not under the GPL. That's the single source of truth.
Also, as mentioned earlier, the GPL FAQ by FSF is also a good
authoritative source at explaining the GPL:
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html

> Am only running the binary of a GPL-2 derived work.
Firstly, c-toxcore is not a binary executable, it's a library. Secondly,
you are not running it, instead you are linking it into your
application, making it a single application, and then running your
application, not just c-toxcore. Thirdly, I don't understand why you
mention GPL-2 as it doesn't apply here, it's GPL-3.0 that applies here.
c-toxcore is available only under GPL-3.0-or-later, and Trifa is
dual-licensed under GPL-2.0-only and GPL-3.0-only, but the only option
you have is to use Trifa under the GPL-3.0 when it gets combined with
c-toxcore, as GPL-2.0 and GPL-3.0 are incompatible licenses and can't be
combined into a single work (see
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#AllCompatibility).

---
Regards,