[General] Password Recovery for TOX Messenger

nurupo nurupo at tox.chat
Sun Jun 11 20:52:23 UTC 2017

The password is not stored anywhere, so it's impossible to recover it.

However, like grayhatter has said, there is no limit to the number of
password tries you can make, so if you remember what the password was
like, you might get lucky and guess it.

Note that the unlimited number of password tries doesn't mean that
someone can easily bruteforce the password of any Tox profile file. Tox
uses scrypt key derivation algorithm to derive a key out of the
password, and scrypt was made specifically with brute-force resistance
in mind, by making each key derivation processor- and memory- expensive.

---
Regards,
nurupo