[General] qTox meeting #6

Zetok Zalbavar zetok at openmailbox.org
Sun Jun 12 11:19:08 UTC 2016

qTox meeting 2016-06-11, #qtox @ freenode

Maintainers present:
* sudden6
* zetok

Maintainers absent without notification of absence:
* agilob (6th absence without notification)
* antis81 (6th absence without notification)
* TheSpiritXIII (a.k.a. DaSpirit) (1st absence without notification)
* tux3 (2nd absence without notification)

Short summary:
* qTox's website got translations ready for easy translating on weblate
* since tox.chat blog can't be used for qTox posts, own blog will need
to be made
  - if making a blog post about your relationship with qTox strikes your
fancy, you'll have a possibility to post about it on the blog ;)

Log from the meeting (log time UTC+1):

[17:09:36] <sudden6> <<< official qTox-dev meeting, logs can be found at
https://github.com/qTox/qtox-irc-logs >>>
[17:09:51] <sudden6> well, not many around today tough
[17:09:57] <zetok> yeah
[17:10:40] <zetok> so, website's translations are cleaned up, I've sent
request to weblate, so hopefully they'll host translations there
[17:10:58] <sudden6> nice
[17:11:35] <zetok> I'm wondering about
[17:11:48] <sudden6> I'll fix the doc PR in a few minutes and then
probably push
[17:11:59] <zetok> ><tux3> Eeeerhghrh
[17:12:13] <zetok> ↑ that was tux3's response to that issue >.<
[17:12:32] <zetok> so, I still am not sure what to do :s
[17:12:48] <sudden6> idk about #1, last I checked bountysource they had
10% of fees, sounds like a ripp-off to me...
[17:13:15] <zetok> you probably should comment about that on the issue
[17:16:42] <zetok> btw, I was wondering whether there should be blog
made, and if there would be people interested in posting on it
[17:18:57] <zetok> posting would be as simple as making a PR
[17:19:47] <sudden6> I think if, people really want to donate something,
we should put up BTC addresses of every dev
[17:20:10] <sudden6> blog, would be overkill IMHO
[17:20:17] <zetok> why?
[17:20:31] <zetok> there's no other place to post project updates to
[17:20:59] <zetok> posting to ML is a cheap work-around, and only
handful of people feel comfortable with it
[17:21:02] <sudden6> I can't really think of enough articles to fill one
[17:21:11] <Diadl0> I agree with zetok. Blog can be good place to poste
some news
[17:21:35] <sudden6> I know you won't like this, but why don't we put up
posts on blog.tox.chat?
[17:21:38] <Diadl0> *post
[17:21:56] <zetok> sudden6: sec, it's in logs ;)
[17:22:45] <zetok> sudden6:
here you go :)
[17:23:44] <zetok> as you can see from logs, tox isn't interested in
qTox's blog posts
[17:24:02] <sudden6> mhmm
[17:24:09] <sudden6> :/
[17:25:40] *** Joins: f10_ (~flo@ )
[17:26:00] <zetok> and sorry for not providing more logs for the
problems with tox.chat I talk about, but it would seem like asshole move
to just drop my logs of stuff with no prior words that stuff is logged :/
[17:27:40] <zetok> sudden6: dunno, are you still not convinced that blog
is needed?
[17:28:16] <sudden6> I don't need to be convinced, but I see not much
possible content
[17:28:20] <zetok> it's not like it has to be posted to constantly, but
once in a while there are things that would be good to announce, and
that's where blog would come in handy
[17:28:30] <sudden6> and a half empty blog is worse than an empty one
[17:28:52] <zetok> even half empty glass is IMO better than empty glass
[17:28:56] <sudden6> I would put that stuff on the frontpage of our website
[17:29:08] <zetok> err
[17:29:24] <zetok> so, here's the thing with frontpage – it's translated
[17:29:37] <zetok> and all the stuff on it should be translated
[17:29:59] <sudden6> a half empty glass is twice as big as it needs to
be /smartass off ;)
[17:30:00] <zetok> as for blog posts – I don't think that it would be a
good idea to burden translators with lengthy posts
[17:30:23] <zetok> + site formatting
[17:30:54] <zetok> i.e. the most important thing on the website is the
download button
[17:31:00] *** Joins: f10__ (~flo@ )
[17:31:37] <Diadl0> May be make one page on site like blog?
[17:32:31] <zetok> Diadl0: um, the idea that I have is to have `Blog`
link on front page, that would redirect to `blog/` subdirectory where
blog would be located
[17:33:25] <sudden6> ok, assume we have a blog, who would write stuff?
[17:35:04] <zetok> anyone who would feel like
[17:35:21] <zetok> if no one would feel like, I could, but I'm not good
at writing stuff
[17:35:54] <Diadl0> What should be content of the blog? Most important
features can be translated and posted on "news page
[17:36:54] <Diadl0> Changelog is more dev part of qtox
[17:36:59] <sudden6> hmm, if you really want to do it as "your" project
for qTox I won't stand in your way, but I think time is better invested
in improving qTox
[17:39:45] <zetok> the way I see it, there has to be a place where news
about stuff related to project could be posted to
[17:39:45] <Diadl0> sudden6: some peoples want help qtox. They can't
wirte the code. Or don't want do any dev thins. But can write blog post
if they want
[17:39:58] <zetok> ↑ :)
[17:41:15] <sudden6> maybe, I've yet to see someone :)
[17:42:29] <sudden6> I'm still, not fully convinced this is a good idea,
maybe additionally ask some other people?
[17:43:14] <zetok> well, there were people in the past that wanted to do
that sort of stuff, there will be in the future
[17:43:50] <zetok> question is not "whether", but how to make things as
easy as possible for those people to participate
[17:44:57] <sudden6> Question, how will "non programmer" people react to
git and PRs for the blog?
[17:45:07] <Diadl0> I think, that we can try it. We always can delete it
[17:45:37] <Diadl0> It can be part of blog UI
[17:46:09] <Diadl0> "Article request" or something like that
[17:47:01] <sudden6> ok, let's make a blog and see how it goes
[17:47:02] <Diadl0> Or email to sending article
[17:47:17] <sudden6> maybe we can even invent "user stories"
[17:47:29] <sudden6> where people describe their usage of qTox
[17:47:41] <sudden6> and experiences (hopefully good)
[17:47:53] <zetok> sounds great
[17:48:26] <Diadl0> It may be free style of bug reports :)
[17:48:33] <zetok> :D
[17:48:36] <Diadl0> And feature requests
[17:48:49] <sudden6> I'd rather have conventional bug reports^^
[17:49:48] <sudden6> Diadl0: did you have time for
https://github.com/tux3/qTox/pull/3257 ?
[17:49:59] <Diadl0> ¯ \ _ (ツ) _ / ¯
[17:50:11] <Diadl0> Oh..
[17:50:18] <sudden6> timing xD
[17:51:21] <zetok> ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
[17:51:22] <Diadl0> I am not sure :(
[17:52:16] <sudden6> not sure about what?
[17:52:44] <Diadl0> About my time
[17:52:50] <sudden6> ok
[17:53:16] <Diadl0> Ok. I try to fix it today
[17:53:36] <sudden6> :D
[18:01:51] <sudden6> zetok: do you think it's possible to configure
travis to make one check only for commit syntax?
[18:02:11] <zetok> -.-
[18:02:14] <sudden6> i.e one instance only checks the commit titles
[18:02:20] <zetok> ah, this way
[18:02:45] <zetok> err
[18:02:54] <zetok> sudden6: but that's the current setup?
[18:03:11] <zetok> i.e. only Linux one checks commit formatting
[18:03:27] <zetok> since osx's grep cannot into extended regexp
[18:03:39] <sudden6> yeah, but I meant decouple the commit formatting
from compiling so you get faster results
[18:03:58] <sudden6> because compiling takes ~10min
[18:04:10] <zetok> might be doable
[18:04:33] <zetok> probably doable, but I'd have to check travis docs to
make sure
[18:04:54] <zetok> i.e. what would be needed, is creating a matrix for
[18:04:55] <sudden6> also is there a limit how many travis instances we
can have?
[18:05:14] <sudden6> matrix for builds???
[18:05:30] * zetok looks his rust projects which spin up 6 travis
instances on every push
[18:05:42] <zetok> I wouldn't worry about number of instances too much
[18:07:21] <zetok> https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/multi-os/
[18:07:58] <zetok> actually
[18:08:23] <zetok> sudden6: would it be better if build failed as soon
as check for commit message fails?
[18:08:57] <sudden6> I also wondered about that, but it may lead to a
misinterpretation by the PR maker
[18:09:31] <sudden6> on the otherside, I think nobody is checking travis
logs anyway...
[18:09:42] * zetok noticed that too :/
[18:10:32] <sudden6> maybe it will make them check if it fails after a
few secs?
[18:10:59] <zetok> hum
[18:11:20] <zetok> except that build isn't marked as "failed" as long as
there are builds going on
[18:11:30] <zetok> even if one of instances already failed
[18:12:17] <sudden6> maybe we should chain it: commit check -> linux
build -> osx build
[18:12:32] <sudden6> if one fails the others aren't even started
[18:12:39] <zetok> that's probably not doable :f
[18:12:49] <zetok> unless you'd use custom thing for it
[18:12:53] <sudden6> -_-
[18:13:33] <sudden6> we should write travis makers for this feature,
would greatly reduce their server load^^
[18:20:28] <zetok> https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci
[18:20:38] <zetok> dunno, perhaps they have an issue for it
[18:32:17] *** Joins: Chiitoo (~Chiitoo@ )
[18:32:17] <sudden6> anybody still has questions to ask?
[18:43:55] *** Quits: Diadl0 (~Diadlo@ ) (Ping timeout: 272 seconds)
[18:46:28] *** Joins: Diadlo (~Diadlo@ )
[18:47:07] *** Quits: Diadlo (~Diadlo@ ) (Client Quit)
[18:48:19] <sudden6> <<< official qTox-dev meeting ended, logs can be
found at https://github.com/qTox/qtox-irc-logs >>>


Kind regards,
Zetok Zalbavar
My Tox ID:

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 819 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <http://lists.tox.chat/pipermail/general/attachments/20160612/5c061f8a/attachment.sig>

More information about the General mailing list