[Dev] Jenkins: transition to new x86-64 build machine

nurupo nurupo at tox.chat
Sun Jun 26 23:58:40 UTC 2016

Hello,

Since the build machines on our build server (https://build.tox.chat)
are underutilized, we are transitioning from using a build machine that
is always online to a build machine that would be created automatically
on demand. This is supposed to reduce how much we pay for build
machines. It also has other benefits, such as a fully documented setup
of the build machine and the fact that the on-demand build machine is
always recreated off a base image, without retaining any build state.

Currently we are transitioning only the x86-64 build machine. The
on-demand build machine was set up from scratch, so it might be missing
packages or configuration files that are present on the 24/7 online
build machine. Because of this, we have set up a test on-demand build
machine that you can run your build jobs on, to give you a chance to see
and report any issues with the on-demand build machine before we
transition. We plan for the transition to take place in 14 days, on July
10th, unless we find any issues during the testing. To run your build
job on the test on-demand build machine, restrict it to run on a node
labeled "test-linux-x86-64.slave.tox.chat". If the on-demand build
machine is not online when you trigger the build job, it should come
online in about 5 to 12 minutes. Email me any issues you find during
your test of the on-demand build machine.

--
Regards,
nurupo