[Dev] Prival messenger violates toxcore's GPL license (was Re: Dev Digest, Vol 17, Issue 1)

nurupo nurupo at tox.chat
Sun Dec 4 04:37:23 UTC 2022

On 2022-12-03 08:01, Георгий wrote:
> The Prival messenger is a duplicate of the Tox messenger to which
> improvements have been added. You can download this messenger by
> following the link:

I have noticed that Prival.exe uses c-toxcore and noticed this
disclaimer in Instruction manual.txt:
> The Prival messenger has closed source codes.

c-toxcore is provided under the terms of GPL-3.0-or-later license. The
license terms are such that if one uses c-toxcore in their software,
they must provide the software under the GPL or a GPL-compatible
license.

See https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#IfLibraryIsGPL

> Q: If a library is released under the GPL (not the LGPL), does that
> mean that any software which uses it has to be under the GPL or a
> GPL-compatible license?
> A: Yes, because the program actually links to the library. As such, the
> terms of the GPL apply to the entire combination. The software modules
> that link with the library may be under various GPL compatible
> licenses, but the work as a whole must be licensed under the GPL. See
> also: What does it mean to say a license is “compatible with the GPL”?

GPL requires that the source code is made available to the program's
users, under the GPL. Specifically, per the GPLv3.0 license section 6,
the users of Prival must be provided with the source code corresponding
to the Prival version they are using, along with the installation
instructions allowing the users to build and install Prival using the
provided source code.

Prival's "The Prival messenger has closed source codes" goes against the
said terms, so Prival is currently in violation of c-toxcore's GPL
license.

As a c-toxcore copyright holder, I ask that Prival ceases any use of
c-toxcore.

I see that you are the owner of the privalsystems.site domain name, so I
assume you are either one of the developers or are in contact with them
and able to pass down this message.

---
Regards,
nurupo